Wednesday, August 1, 2012

my favorite breakfast smoothie

I haven't been baking much because it's just too darn hot & humid. Period. Instead, I've been making things to keep us cool and refreshed like aguas frescas and frozen treats. Today I was inspired by my friend Mary who is a writer, fitness nut and a nutritional guru who also happens to have her own blog, Daily Dose Wellness. Like her FB page too because she blogs daily about tons of good stuff! Mary's post today talked about the importance of eating breakfast. Sometimes eating breakfast means eating-on-the-go or sipping on a smoothie. So in honor of Mary, DDW, and her blog post today I'm going to share my favorite breakfast smoothie and I hope she approves.



My favorite breakfast smoothie is similar to the one that is made at my local organic food market. I just can't afford buying one on a regular basis, so I constantly have many of the ingredients on hand so that I can save a few bucks and make my very own.


INGREDIENTS
1 banana  - cut up and frozen is best but not necessary
15 (roughly 1/2 ounce) or more organic raw cacao beans - depending how "chocolatey" you want it 
1/3 cup whole rolled oats 
1 cup unsweetened almond milk - you can substitute soy, rice, oat or regular old milk
2 heaping tablespoons of almond butter
1 - 2 teaspoons of honey - optional
2 ice cubes - if your banana is not frozen

In a blender pulse oats and raw cacao beans until they are almost powdery. Add the almond milk, frozen banana, almond butter, honey and ice cubes and blend. 


Organic Raw Cacao Beans can been a little pricey but are worth every bean. I love adding them to my smoothies because you get a chocolately taste and a good hit of pure energy. Cacao beans are also groovy because they contain a natural rich supply of antioxidants and are an excellent source of dietary fiber. Blend them with a frozen banana, a handful of oats, almond butter and almond milk and you'll have breakfast to go..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment